Saturday, October 15, 2011

Gora

Went back to the old fort and the main mosque today with a local. He managed to finesse our way into several locked, barricaded areas. This included going below the main palace area where, at basement level, is a complete summer palace. This is where the royals would go in summer to keep cool below ground. It was absolutely beautiful, with high curved ceilings and arches, all inlaid with incredibly intricate mosaics that have kept their rich colours because they are under ground and protected from the elements.
I had quite a few people coming up just wanting to shake hands because I am a 'gora' (pakeha). Pakistan does not get tourists and so white faces are very rare. The people are all very warm and welcoming but I had to be quick on my feet to avoid all the iphone cameras trying to get a pic of me. Those who know me well know how I detest having my photo taken!!
On the topic of gora. I saw a guy the other day and pointed him out to my driver saying "Gora". He looked, shook his head and said "Pakistani". So the only thing I can surmise is that the man was an albino. That was when I realised how seeing an albino in Sth Africa was not unusual, but this was my first instance over here. Are some races more prone to albinoism???

No comments:

Post a Comment