Thursday, October 27, 2011

Transport Adventure

Had a bit of an adventure tonight that I'll probably have to keep quiet about to anyone in Pakistan.
Due to a mixture of circumstances & my own stubborness I ended up at a shopping mall in a place I didn't know (and didn't know where it was in relation to my home) with night falling and no transport. So I decided to catch a rickshaw (which I had been warned about. BUT taxis are very expensive and require a minimum hour's wait), I managed to wave a rickshaw (covered in masking tape, possibly aesthetic reasons but probably to hold it together) down but knew language and haggling over the price would be a difficulty. There was a car stopped next to me so I asked the guy in there for translating help. Turns out he was an Aussie who was more interested in asking me out, which may have been flattering if he wasn't so creepy and desperate. I did manage to get a (cute) local man to help, I jumped in the rickshaw and took off into the setting sun leaving the Aussie in my wake. But after about 1/2 hour I started to wonder if the driver knew where he was going, I was becoming a bit tense - solo foreign woman in the dark, wouldn't make happy newspaper headlines. Through a prolonged series of mimes it turned out neither of us knew which way to go. The only option was to ask people on the way, including aiming for another rickshaw so as to collide so that he would stop and talk!! The directions weren't very helpful but after awhile I thought I saw a familiar landmark (although it was dark & I wasn't wearing my glasses so it was more hope than certainty). Anyway the result is I managed to lead us back home. I don't know who was more relieved, but I don't think he'll be picking up any more foreigners in a hurry :) Also think I'll stick to my driver from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment