Monday, December 26, 2011

Alcohol

Alcohol in a Muslim country is very hard, but not impossible, to get.
There are bootleggers (whose real names are never mentioned) that can access some alcohol - at a fairly high price. They have risky jobs but one I have heard of has never been stopped or questioned because he dresses traditionally, has a long beard, looks devout, and rides a bicycle.
I am looking forward to my first bootlegging adventure - at the moment I am trying to find a trenchcoat, large hat, and false moustache :)
To be fair foreigners have the right to a pass that allows you to legally buy a small amount of alcohol. BUT as my work visa is still "in progress" I am not yet entitled to one of the booze passes.
What is strange is how even though I normally don't drink very much, when something is denied to you it becomes hugely important. I've had long passionate discussions with expats when everyone dreamily talks about their favourite alcoholic drink!

1 comment: