Sunday, December 4, 2011

Latest Holiday

Today and tomorrow are public holidays. It is an important commemoration, for the Shia community, of the martydom of two men (most of Lahore is Sunni but there are also Shia. All are Muslim but do not intermingle much and almost never intermarry. According to the Sunni I know, the Shia are more fervent)
This holiday is a time of mourning. There are large parades with people dressed in black carrying whips and flogging themselves. I had wanted to see this and my driver had organised for me to sneak into a small area to watch, but every person I spoke to advised against this as most years there are bombings and riots. Most of my colleagues stay inside for the whole 2 days. So at the last minute I cancelled my trip. Will now watch what happens on the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment